Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Antigone

Coal Miner’s Daughter (9/12/06 - RRC)

Pondering what it means to be a coal miner’s daughter
I can’t help playing in the water
And I like to watch it as it goes
Coming down in rains and snows
And piling up in pools behind a beaver’s master piece
Filled with water-weeds for the geese
And I like to watch the trees turning red
Before they are forced to disrobe in the cold
It shows what you know
When you name them by feel
Makes them real
And I like their hidden rings
Because there’s beauty in seldom seen things
Like the dark bands round the earth
That fuel the lights of the night
Globe round and in your town
And the water shouldn’t turn rust-brown
But you find a better way
It’s not to say that I don’t care
I know what’s there
And what it means to take away
I know how red blood can be
When you fell a beast
But in the least I’m thankful
For the chance to understand
For these hands to know the textures of a life
And the colors to be seen beneath the skin
Maybe it’s a sin to dig to the earths black
But stand back and tell me
How you keep your hands clean
When you tell them they can’t cook
Or have lights to read
Because there is no steam
Have you ever thought it through?
And what do you do to make acid rain?
We’re all stained- guilty for living
And for passing around the blame
Really we all stand the same
Though you choose to look away
Or shake your fists at my father
But what do I know
I’m just a coal miner’s daughter

-Jn

2 comments:

Charlie Bishop said...

OK, enough of this reading crap, contact me and let's talk. You are a really cool kid, I want to get to know you.

Ramblin' Ed said...

You know the drill, a list o' the "stuff what I liked":

And I like to watch the trees turning red
Before they are forced to disrobe in the cold (Mosssst excellent)

Because there’s beauty in seldom seen things

Globe round and in your town
And the water shouldn’t turn rust-brown (bouncy bouncy phrasing)

But stand back and tell me
How you keep your hands clean

I like how you write when you relly believe something. The words come out right and they feel right when I read them.

(Yeah, I know "bouncy bouncy" sounds gay, but not as much as some of the other things I almost said. Ummm... not that there's anything wrong with being gay.)