So I started packing for Peru today and I am positively giddy. Not even really at the thought of the trip cause that hasn’t set in yet. It was more the act of pulling out my field gear and thinking ‘I get to use this soon!’ So what follows is a happy little list of 6 things (in semi-ascending order of giddiness quotient) that make me glad I am a field biologist.
6. Compass- you just feel cool using a compass
5. Field notebook- a happy little book with waterproof paper full of illegible to anyone but you scribbles
4. Waterproof pens- You can go into an artsy fartsy craft store and not feel awkward
3. Field Clothes- the most comfortable clothes I own, those t-shirts that you can’t quite retire yet
2. Waders and/or big rubber boots- I don’t know about you but I look HOT in waders
1. Flagging tape- come on who Doesn’t like flagging tape?
And as the good Dr. Boorse stated when we really over topped in the crick, ‘You know you are committed when your underwear gets involved.’